Hey there my fellow fourbie enthusiasts and welcome to my post where we will check out my three best 4WD awnings to take shade under this year. In most cases, when we are out and about in our 4x4s, there are a number of accessories that can make things just that little but easier. And one of those is a 4×4 awning to give us some extra shade whilst we stop to eat, drink and survey the surroundings.
But as usual, there are a number of options to choose from out there so for those of you looking to get yourself set up with a good awing for your off road vehicle, I have had a look around and come up with 3 good options below.
Let’s check the out…
My three recommended 4wd awnings
I will review these in more detail below, but if you just want to get moving without all the carry-on, my recommended products are listed here for your convenience:
|4WD Awning||Price||Get it|
|SUV Tailgate Shade Awning Tent||$||CURRENT PRICE|
|ALL-TOP Retractable 4×4 Awning||$$||CURRENT PRICE|
|ARB Awning Room Accessory Deluxe||$$$||CURRENT PRICE|
What are 4×4 awnings?
In short, 4×4 awnings are essentially little gazebo like covers that stretch out from the side the vehicle to provide extra protection from the elements such as sun and rain. Awnings come in various forms such as a retractable sunshade that like an RV or sun porch awning, wraps up or folds out of the way when not in use and deploys in minutes at your camp or picnic site.
Others also include extra features such as side walls, or even come with the ability to convert into a tent as well.
What should you be looking for?
The following factors should be considered as you look for a good awning for your 4×4.
- Type of awning
- Construction material
Type of awning
When you are buying vehicle awnings, you will encounter different kinds such as:
- Rear awning: This type of awning is attached to the vehicle’s roof bars/roof rack located at the back. Because a rear awning is smaller than a side awning, many people decide to use both types to provide more shade and space options for their camp.
- Side awning: This type of awning is installed on the side of your vehicle. A 4×4 side awning is ideal for those looking for a simple canopy. It is also usually less expensive than other varieties.
- 270-degree awning: This type of vehicle awning has become more popular in recent times they wrap around the sides and back of the vehicle. They typically unfold with a hinge system, making them simple to set up by one person. The spacious section provides significant shade from the hot sun, which explains why 270-degree awnings are one of the best-rated ones. To protect your companions from the wind, you may use attachable walls.
- Awning tent: The final type of awning goes above and beyond the other types as they provide full enclosure and protection, just like your standard camping tents. When it’s time to sleep just zip yourself in and you will have complete protection from the elements.
The amount of shade provided by the awning is based on its size. There are several size measurements available which means the right product is out there for your needs. Side awnings typically provide 2 – 2.5 square meters of shade. A rear awning is much smaller and provides less shade than a side awning and awnings with a 270-degree angle typically provide 11 – 11.5 square meters of shade coverage.
The majority of 4×4 awnings are made of ripstop polyester cotton, which comes in various weights and is measured by GSM (grams per square meter). If you want a high-quality car shade awning, look for one that is at least 250 gsm.
Also, consider awnings that are UV resistant or have a reflective layer. These special coatings help protect the product from the sun’s scorching heat, making it last for a long time. Awnings that deal with water leaks are also a good choice when unexpected rain hits – although you may need to waterproof it first.
The awning’s weight will be a key consideration as all vehicles have a maximum weight that can be carried on the roof. While an awning by itself cannot overload the top, having the product alongside several other items may cause a problem. In general, the larger the covering, the heavier it is.
Other potential additions include:
- Storage bag: This hides the awning whenever it is not in use.
- Mounting brackets: These accessories make the awning stand upright to give shade.
- LED lighting: In built LED lights helps at nighttime when you would need illumination.
My three recommendations broken down
So based on the information above and my own experience, I recommend the following options:
1. SUV Tailgate Shade Awning Tent
This first product has impressive durability, even if it comes at a very affordable price. The height of the product is adjustable for your preferred privacy and as it is not attached permanently to the car, it is a good option for all sorts of other outdoor car related activities as well. See its specifications below:
- Brand: Elikoya
- Type: Rear awning
- Construction material: 210T polyester fabric
- Shade size: 60 square feet
- Weight: 5.44 pounds
- Air vents
Why have I chosen it?
This vehicle awning does the job of providing you with shade for protection purposes with an air vent is included that allows an upward breeze for improved comfortability. When you need privacy, you can adjust the height of the outboard end to the ground as well.
2. ALL-TOP Retractable 4×4 Awning
The second 4×4 awning is another popular choice due to its sturdy and straightforward design. It comes with a complete and easy-to-understand installation package. It is also made from long-lasting materials for added durability as well. See its specifications below:
- Brand: ALL-TOP
- Type: Side awning
- Construction material: 280GSM polyester ripstop fabric
- Shade size: 54 square feet
- Weight: 22 pounds
- Mounting brackets
- Winding ropes
- UV-proof laminated PVC bag
Why have I chosen it?
Thanks to its uncomplicated installation manual, affixing this product to your 4×4 is not much of a hassle. The manufacturers used particular coating substances to protect the fabric from harsh elements and when the sun changes location, you can easily adjust the height to attain the needed shade. This is a great option for quick shade on any 4×4 trip or camping expedition.
3. ARB Awning Room Accessory Deluxe
My last 4×4 awning gives you complete protection from the known elements of the great outdoors. It consists of the traditional awning plus side walls to give you cover and privacy just like a tent. And for improved ventilation, the roof and walls allow smooth airflow as well. See its specifications below:
- Brand: ARB
- Type: Awning tent
- Construction material: 300D Oxford polyester
- Shade size: Not indicated
- Weight: 3 pounds
- Storage sack
- Guy ropes
- Mesh pocket
Why have I chosen this?
This product features zippered wall panels for easy access and adaptability to changing weather conditions. The anodized height-adjustable telescopic legs and thick reinforced aluminum extrusions of the awning provide quick and dependable shade and protection. The integrated power cord guides are built into the roof corners to organize and secure cables and wires. A great option for those looking for an all in one canopy and tent in an effort to save space and packing time.
There you have it, my three best 4×4 awnings to help you achieve comfort in your 4×4 adventures. I would be pleased to know how this article helped you, and as usual, let me know of your experiences with them.
Also, please do not hesitate to comment below if you have any questions, concerns, corrections, or would like me to check anything else out for you.
Until next time.