Hey there campers and welcome to my post where I will share my three best camping tableware sets to dine out on this year. Camping tableware sets tend to be often overlooked however in my opinion, is something that every camper, hiker, and backpacker should invest in. I mean the simple act of bringing the proper plates, bowls, mugs, and cutlery on your camping trip can make a vast improvement in your camping comfort.
And as with everything to do with camping, there is an extensive range of camping dinner sets available on the market these days so for those of you looking to purchase yourself a dinner set for camping, let’s check out some of the options I have come up with below…
My three recommended tableware sets for camping
I will review these in more detail below, but if you just want to get moving without all the carry-on, my recommended products are listed here for your convenience:
|Camping Tableware Sets||Price||Get it|
|Wealers Complete Messware Kit||$||CURRENT PRICE|
|Stansport Enamel Tableware Set||$||CURRENT PRICE|
|Coleman Enamel Dinnerware Set||$||CURRENT PRICE|
What are camping tableware sets?
Camping tableware sets are lightweight, compact, easy to clean and durable dinnerware and utensils kits that you can use for your outdoor camping expeditions whether camping with the family or hiking. As above, they tend to be overlooked in most camping gear lists however they do provide the following advantages:
- They are a better alternative than disposable ones (and better for the environment).
- They are designed to be lightweight, making them easy to carry compared with your regular household plates and saucers.
- As most come in kits, they are easy to store.
- They are generally cost effective, meaning they can be left in the camping storage box without having to raid the kitchen before each trip.
What should you be looking for?
Below are some of the main factors you should take into account as you shop for a good tableware kit for camping:
- Materials used
- Kit size
- BPAs etc.
Here are some of the materials manufacturers utilize in making their products:
- Wood – Natural, safe, nontoxic and well-known for their durability.
- Titanium – Highly durable and has excellent scratch resistance although generally more expensive than other options.
- Stainless steel – Scratch resistant, rust proof, strong and relatively inexpensive.
- Enamel – As with stainless steel it is strong and extremely durable – will not dent if dropped and holds heat well in mugs etc.
- Plastic – Lightweight and affordable – good budget option but generally not as durable.
As always, we want to keep our weight to the minimum, so the tableware you choose should also be lightweight and portable. The tableware’s weight primarily depends on the materials used to manufacture the set.
As I have mentioned in just about any post to do with camping, it is a pastime that is hard on equipment. Considering this, be sure that the outdoor dinnerware you are considering is highly durable.
The number of people who will use the tableware determines the number of tableware items you must bring. Some products are suitable for two to four people. Others cater to a bigger number of campers.
This feature refers to how easy you can pack and organize the items. Some have nested designs wherein the tableware items are stack able, while there are also foldable tableware products. Both of these designs contribute to an easy organization.
It is of utmost importance that the tableware you buy is free from BPA and Phthalates. These are chemicals used for plastic products to achieve specific characteristics such as flexibility and durability. However, they may get into our system when the products that contain them are heated or used for a long time. Certain studies prove that BPA and Phthalates pose a danger to human health, so you should buy tableware products free of these chemicals. Some plastic products do not use BPA and Phthalates. These are considered safe.
Other potential additions include:
- Easy to clean – Try and buy products that you can clean with ease – especially if water is scarce.
- Heatproof – Often, plates and cups etc. are exposed to excess heat from our grills, cookers or the fire so the more heatproof they are, the better.
- Cookware – some kits come with dinnerware and cookware in the same pack – this can assist with portability etc.
- Dishwasher safe – Dishwasher safe essentially refers to the fact that the item has been treated at some point during the manufacturing process to ensure that the tableware will not be damaged by the dishwasher’s prolonged high temperatures and highly effective detergents. If you want to give it all a good clean when you get home then this feature becomes very useful.
- Carrying bag or case – To easily organize the dishware before and after using, you should look for brands that include a carrying bag or case. It is even better if the carrying bag can be attached to your camping backpack or inside your camp kitchen.
My three recommendations broken down
So based on the information above and my own experience, I recommend the following options:
1. Wealers Complete Messware Kit
This first product is perfect for those camping in couples or like to hike to their campsite. They are made from stainless steel and ideal for any cold beverage or food that you wish to place in it. See its specifications below:
- Brand: Wealers
- Material used: Stainless steel
- Pieces: 12 pieces – 2 x Cups, Plates, Bowls and Cutlery (Knives, spoons and fork)
- Weight: 1.92 pounds
- Dishwasher safe
- Mesh carry bag
- Rust and scratch proof
Why have I chosen it?
Aside from having no BPA and Phthalates, the stainless steel is resistant from scratches and blemishes which can often result from camping. Cleaning the items is a breeze and then the whole kit is easily stored in the mesh bag for ease of transport.
2. Stansport Enamel Tableware Set
If you are a gang of four, this next tableware set suits you. It comes with a high-quality, long-lasting 24-piece steel tableware set with a blue enamel finish. The double enamel coating ensures the product’s unrivaled durability. My second recommendation will undoubtedly improve how you enjoy your food during your camping adventure.
See its specifications below:
- Brand: STANSPORT
- Material used: Stainless steel and enamel finish
- Pieces: 24 pieces – 4x plates, 4 x bowls, 4 x mugs and 4 x flatware sets (spoon, knife, fork)
- Weight: 5.1 pounds
- Dishwasher safe
- Enamel finish
Why have I chosen this?
This is the perfect set for the family camping trip with large plates that are strong and durable. I grew up using these types of dinner sets when we went camping and they just last for ever. Dinnerware made out of enamel is also great for kids to avoid the scalding of their hands caused by newly-cooked food.
3. Coleman Enamel Dinnerware Set
Thanks to its impressive durability, this final product is anther great option for family or individual camping trips year after year. Each item is crack and scratch-protected for durability and ease of cleaning whilst out and about. See its specifications below:
- Brand: Coleman
- Material used: Stainless steel and enamel
- Pieces: 24 pieces – 4 x dinner plates, 4 x coffee mugs, 4 x bowls and 4 plastic-handled forks, spoons, and knives
- Weight: 6.5 pounds
Other inclusions it has:
- Dishwasher safe
- Enamel finish
- Roll-up pouch for cutlery
Why have I chosen this?
The double-fired enamel coating of this last option gives them the ultimate strength and durability as well as a good holder of heat on the inside whilst not burning your hands as you hold them. Additionally, a common issue among tableware is the misplacement of spoons, forks, and knives however thanks to the product’s roll-up pouch, you can easily organize your cutlery without missing any piece. A great option for any camping trip.
There you have it, my top three camping tableware sets to dine out on this year. I hope it has been helpful and as usual, please let me know of your experiences with them.
Also, please do not hesitate to comment below if you have any questions, concerns, corrections, or would like me to check anything else out for you.
Until next time