Hey there anglers and welcome to my post where we will check out my 3 best fish lip grippers to keep your catch under control with this year. As we may be aware, handling fish by the mouth is a common way of grasping them as we either remove the hook or return them to the water – after the obligatory selfie of course.
However, some cannot be held by hand in this manner due to rows of sharp teeth present – a problem is easily solved by using fish lip grippers. So for those of you looking for something to get hold of your catch with let’s check out some good fish lip grippers I have found below.
My three recommended fish lip grippers
I will review these in more detail below but if you just want to get moving without all the carry-on, my recommended products are listed here for your convenience:
|Fish Lip Gripper||Price||Get it|
|Rapala Floating Fish Gripper||$||CURRENT PRICE|
|CRAZY SHARK Stainless Steel Fish Lip Grabber||$||CURRENT PRICE|
|Piscifun Fish Lip Gripper with Digital Scale||$$||CURRENT PRICE|
What are fish lip grippers?
Fish lip grippers refer to fishing equipment used to hold or handle fish by the mouth after being removed from the water. The grippers are incredibly productive and straightforward to use and typically made of high-quality, long-lasting materials.
These grips have a fist-sized or T-shaped handle for fishers to grab with and a solid handle to ensure that the catch cannot jump away.
What should you be looking for?
Below are some factors to consider as you look for a good pair of fish lip grippers.
- Construction material
This factor contributes to the longevity of the lip gripper. Plastic, aluminum and stainless steel are common materials for fish lip grippers with advantages and disadvantages as follows:
- Plastic fish grippers: These lip grippers are popular for being lightweight, long-lasting, and corrosion-resistant. In most cases, plastic grippers are also the most cost-effective option you can find on the market however they are not as strong as their metal counterparts.
- Aluminum fish grippers: An aluminum lip gripper is easy-to-carry and robust enough to handle larger fish. Compared with plastic fish grippers, they typically last longer however come at a higher cost and a questionable ability to handle salt water as well.
- Stainless steel fish grippers: The last type of fish grippers are the most expensive, yet their durability is of premium quality. Stainless steel is strong, corrosion-resistant, and very durable however heavier than the first two options.
Under this category, you have two options: T-style grippers and pistol grippers.
- T-style grippers: These are incredibly strong and capable of handling large fish. The gripper is managed by a T handle that slides up and down to hold the fish.
- Pistol grippers: One best feature of pistol grippers is their ergonomic design. This makes them relatively comfortable to use as the trigger can be found in the handle area ans when engaged, the claws will only open once.
This feature describes the gripper’s ability to handle fish of different sizes. If you are only targeting small to medium-sized fish, plastics could do the trick. However, aluminum or stainless steel grippers are the best choices for a massive catch.
When selecting and employing a lip gripper, another essential consideration is the safety it offers to both the user and the fish. A good pair of lip grippers will keep your hands away from the fish’s teeth and your hooks while keeping the fish under control. To ensure that the fish is not harmed while being handled, the jaws should be non-puncture. A firm grip will also prevent the fish from being dropped while you’re unhooking or posing with it.
Other potential additions include:
- Grip area: I recommend purchasing a fish lip gripper with a textured rubber handle. These make the grippers long-lasting and resistant to the harsh elements. Furthermore, the textured rubber allows for a tight and secure grip on the lip gripper and the fish.
- LED display: Some advanced lip grippers have this feature to display how much the fish weighs.
- Rotatable handle: In angling, you will definitely encounter aggressive fish that will fight their way out of the grip. For this reason, rotatable handles become very efficient.
What do I use?
I use my grippers on my kayak for when I catch Flathead – a particularly hard fish to hold when in a small area. They are made of stainless steel (as they often sit in the feet well of the vessel in salt water) with a T-shape handle and as above, whilst a little heavier than other options, are extremely tough and can handle all catches.
My three recommendations broken down
So based on the information above and my own experience, I recommend the following options:
1. Rapala Floating Fish Gripper
My first recommended product come from a very well-known and trusted brand with a simple plastic design. Furthermore, it can assist you in holding large fish and floats as well. See its specifications below:
- Brand: Rapala
- Construction material: Plastic
- Capacity: Not indicated
- Weight: 0.32 pounds
- Dimensions: 9 x 1 x 1 inches
- Quick-release button
- Built-in wrist strap
Why have I chosen it?
The gripper is made of heavy-duty molded plastic that will not rust. It is also simple to use since the quick-release button opens the jaws with a single push. This is a very popular and simple option for a budget price.
2. CRAZY SHARK Stainless Steel Fish Lip Grabber
My second lip gripper is made from aviation grade aluminium stainless steel and provides superb safety to both you and your catch. The product is capable of holding fish up to 18 kilograms with single hand operation. See its specifications below:
- Brand: Crazy shark
- Construction material: Aluminium and stainless steel
- Capacity: 40 pounds (18 kilograms)
- Weight: 0.40 pounds
- Dimensions: 12.52 x 3.5 x 1.54 inches
- Non-slip EVA foam handle
- Dull tips
- Swivel handle
Why have I chosen it?
This lip gripper is pretty straightforward to use and can withstand the punishment of saltwater as well. The handle is EVA foam which gives you an excellent grip added to the swivel handle to assist with an unhappy catch. This is a great all round option for fishing of all types.
3. Piscifun Fish Lip Gripper with Digital Scale
My final reviewed product has everything you are looking for from a top-notch fish lip gripper. It is made from durable materials and equipped with an LED display to let you know what your catch actually weighs. See its specifications below:
- Brand: Piscifun
- Construction material: Stainless steel
- Capacity: 60 pounds (27 kilograms)
- Weight: 0.64 pounds
- Dimensions: 13.27 x 3.23 x 1.65 inches
- Water-resistant LED display
- Rotatable handle
- Adjustable wrist strip
- Anti-corrosion gripper
Why have I chosen it?
This final fish lip gripper includes a digital scale which is helpful for accurate weighing. It has a corrosion-resistant stainless steel body that can withstand both fresh and saltwater and the jaws of the grippers are incredibly strong to do an excellent job of grabbing your catch. Furthermore, the 1.57-inch opening allows you to fit the jaws into almost any fish easily. Highly recommended for those who like to chase the big ones out deep.
There you have it, my three best fish lip grippers to keep hold of them this year. I would be pleased to know how this article helped you, and as usual, let me know of your experiences with them.
Also, please do not hesitate to comment below if you have any questions, concerns, corrections, or would like me to check anything else out for you.
Until next time