Hey there campers and welcome to my post discussing my three best outdoor LED light strips for camping this year. LED light strips are a great option for campers looking for versatility in their lighting choices as they can be used as both a powerful spotlight or general ambient light that illuminates your campsite.
And as with anything to do with camping there are so many options on the market today it can be hard to know which one is right for you and your needs. So to make things a little easier I have had a look around and come up with some options for you below…
My three recommended camping LED light strips
I will review these in more detail below, but if you just want to get moving without all the carry-on, my recommended products are listed here for your convenience:
|LED Light Strip||Price||Get it|
|Ollivage LED Rope Lights||$||CURRENT PRICE|
|Areful LED Rope Lights||$$||CURRENT PRICE|
|Hedynshine Smart LED Strip Lights||$$$||CURRENT PRICE|
What are outdoor LED light strips?
LED strip lights are a novel and adaptable type of lighting. There are numerous variants and exceptions, but they all share the following characteristics:
- Comprises a large number of individual LED emitters, usually mounted on a narrow, flexible circuit board
- Use low-voltage direct current power
- Are available in a variety of fixed and variable color and brightness options
- Sold in a long reel (typically 16 feet / 5 meters)
- Can be cut to length, depending on marked intervals.
What should you be looking for?
Below are some of the main factors you should take into account as you shop for a good LED light strip for camping:
- Ease of use
- Power source
The standard test of LED light strips’ durability is their ability to withstand the challenges of the outdoors, such as changing weather. In most cases, the plastic tubing that encases the LED light protects against water splashes that might damage the product. So if you are planning to use outside then I recommend that you check if the product is waterproof with IP ratings of 67 or higher.
Ease of use
String lights are not a particularly complicated product, so using them should be straightforward. Most are simple to mount, tangle free and roll up for simple storage as well. LED lights that are remotely controlled are also good as you can manipulate their light settings easily and some even have timers to set when the lights go on or off. The only issue I have ever had with them is that in some models, they do not stick to metal poles as well as I would like meaning zip ties or Velcro straps are needed.
The length of string lights you choose will be determined by factors such as the size of the area you want to illuminate and how intricately you wish to decorate.
Shorter lengths are fitting for small spaces such as tents or along the edge of camping tables, whereas longer lengths are ideal for use between trees or around trailers. Some products include linkable cords that can be used to create longer light strings as well.
There are various types of LED lights available and most plug into standard power points however If you will not have access to electricity while camping, opt for solar or battery powered options instead. Alternatively, you can decide to choose a set that relies on electricity and use a portable power station or generator if running off grid. Many also use a USB connector making it suitable for many different power options too.
With LED light strips this is generally not a concern however they should still not be a burden to carry, especially if you are outdoors. Having this in mind, be sure to purchase products that are compact and lightweight.
Other potential additions include:
- Spare parts – Some manufacturers do include some extra parts that you can use in any type of emergency. For example, one of the products I listed consists of a spare fuse, suppose the one installed becomes busted.
- Multiple colors – Some products provide a single color for their LED lights, while others offer three or more colors. There is only a minimal difference between the two. Single-colored LED strip lights seem to produce a lighter mood while displaying multiple colors offer a more exciting and vibrant feel.
- Dimmable lighting – From the name itself, this feature allows you to adjust the brightness of the LEDs. This addition is important because you have the freedom to save more energy if you can change how bright the bulbs should be.
- Extendability – This feature lets you alter how long the product should be as there are connectors at then end that can be used to attach another strip.
- Cut marks – Alternatively, should you want to reduce the length, some come with markings at intervals along the strip where it can be safely cut without stopping the whole lot from working.
What do I use?
I have a couple of strips that I use. The first runs on a 12 volt battery that I used outside. It is single colour and bright enough to light up our eating area. The second option goes into the tent and has been cut down for exact length. It runs off electricity (or our solar panel) and have multiple colour and dimming qualities.
My three recommendations broken down
So based on the information above and my own experience, I recommend the following options:
1. Ollivage LED Rope Lights
This first option is a multicolor LED string light with a waterproof design that makes it the perfect outdoor lighting product for all camping types. It is remote controlled for ease of use and will work well both inside and outside the tent. See its specifications below:
- Brand: Olivage
- Power source: Battery (3 AA batteries)
- Weight: 0.6 pounds
- Length: 40 feet
- Color: Multicolored
- 8 lighting modes and 10 brightness levels
- Waterproof with IP44 waterproof battery case
Why have I chosen it?
The product is affordable for intermittent campers with great flexibility and durability. The remote control allows you to create lighting variations and even set the time for the product to turn on or off. And if you are not camping, you can throw it up in the BBQ area as well.
2. Areful LED Rope Lights
This next option is similar to the type that I use and one that is widely used on different outdoor occasions including camping. This strip light is extendable, flexible and can be easily bent or twined. The flat shape allows it to fit better along walls etc and it can also be cut to length if the need arises. See its specifications below:
- Brand: Areful
- Power source: Polarized electrical plug with safety fuse
- Weight: 1.78 pounds
- Length: 16 feet
- Color: Multicolored
- End caps to allow up to four strips to be connected
- Mounting accessories included
Why have I chosen this?
This product offers ease of use with a remote control that allows you to manipulate lighting settings including brightness and colours. The light effectively withstands water splashing and as a safety feature, it has a polarized plug and an electrical 8-amp fuse to reduce the risk of electric shock. A great option for campers of all types.
3. Hedynshine Smart LED Strip Lights
My final recommended LED light strip for your camping adventure is a 100-foot, multi-colored rope light with all the functions including the ability to sync to music. This may be overkill for camping but it can function as a nightlight, mood light, or simply extra accent lighting in any dark and dull campground. It even comes with a smart phone app for greater control as well. See its specifications below:
- Brand: Hedynshine
- Power source: AC/DC
- Weight: Not Stated
- Length: 100 feet
- Color: Multi color
- Cuttable length at marked intervals
- UV resistant
- Multi mounting options
Why have I chosen this?
This bestselling product has notable durability because of the commercial-grade heavy-duty PVC encasing. With their self-owned joints, you can connect several rope lights end-to-end or cut to length. The mobile phone app means complete light control making perfect for not only camping, but parties etc. too. This is a top of the range option for those looking to really control their lighting needs.
And there they are, my three best LED light strips for camping this year. I hope it has been helpful and as usual, let me know of your experiences with them.
Also, please do not hesitate to comment below if you have any questions, concerns, corrections or would like me to check anything else out for you.
Until next time