Hey there campers and welcome to my post where I will discuss my three best camping jackets for women to keep you warm and dry this year. Now I know you probably have a good array of jackets at home and hence are wondering why you need one for camping.
The difference is then that if you have a jacket specifically for camping, then you have one that is not only fit for purpose, but something that can go through rigours of camping without worrying about damaging your others.
And of course as with anything to do with camping, there is a large range to choose from so to save you a little time I have had a good look around and come up with 3 options for you below. Let’s check em all out…
My three recommended camping jackets for women
I will review these in more detail below, but if you just want to get moving without all the carry-on, my recommended products are listed here for your convenience:
|Women’s Camping Jacket||Price||Get it|
|CAMEL CROWN Women’s Camping Jacket||$||CURRENT PRICE|
|Legendary Whitetails Women’s Jacket||$$||CURRENT PRICE|
|Wantdo Women’s Mountain Jacket||$$||CURRENT PRICE|
What are camping jackets?
Women’s camping jackets are no different from their male counterparts except for tailoring specifically for females. In terms of function, women’s outdoor coats should provide the needed protection from the elements of the great outdoors without sacrificing comfort.
Technically speaking, camping jackets are created with one goal in mind: to provide insulation that will keep you warm and dry while protecting you from the elements. The outerwear you choose will provide comfort and shelter even if you’re in a very remote location. Outdoor jackets are made with the best features to help you with your camping activities.
Men’s vs women’s camping jackets
One significant difference between camping jackets for men as apposed to those for women is how they are tailored. Men’s jackets typically have elongated torsos and more shoulder width whereas those for women are generally slimmer at the waist and have more fabric in the chest.
What should you be looking for?
Below are some of the main factors you should take into account as you shop for a good ladies’s camping jacket:
- Materials used
In buying a camping jacket, you should be familiar with the different types available on the market today.
- Hard-shell – This type is a rugged jacket that is lightweight and waterproof. Shell jackets provide wind and rain protection as most commonly, the exterior material is treated nylon that has been layered to create a breathable yet waterproof layer.
- Soft-shell – These jackets offer some of the best breathable and waterproof options available with impressive versatility. Soft-shell jackets have a softer outer layer than hard-shell jackets, making them suitable for your summer hikes, runs, and rides. In the fall or spring, they also make for good everyday outerwear.
- Down – Products classified as down are warm, lightweight, and breathable, making them an excellent choice for icy conditions such as snow and frost. I find them perfect for winter hikes or camping trips. However, because of the material, they require a little more upkeep than most jackets, necessitating careful washing.
Camping jackets are made from different fabrics or materials. Here are some of the known fabrics that comprise current outdoor jackets:
- Cotton – This material is the most widely used fabric globally for various reasons. It’s breathable, easy to clean, soft, comfortable, and long-lasting. Cotton fabric’s strength increases when wet – a unique feature.
- Wool – Jackets made from wool are naturally breathable and allow air to flow, whereas synthetics only breathe through pores between the fibers in the fabric.
- Polyester – This fabric is an artificial product that is entirely synthetic. Polyester is a solid and durable material, so it is commonly used in items subjected to a great deal of wear and tear.
- Fleece – The fleece jackets are similar to wool coats due to the material’s remarkable softness, but the thinner nature of fleece makes it almost identical to cotton. Jackets made of this material are usually incredibly light and are frequently both water-repellent and fast-drying.
A camping jacket must withstand the demands placed on it by it. As with tents etc., the durability weight of a thread is measured in deniers (D), and the lower the number, the lighter the weight. A lower denier rating indicates that the material is less durable and prone to tears or punctures. Unfortunately, as jackets become more lightweight, they become less durable.
Many campers believe that light is best, and weight is an indispensable consideration for any piece of gear (tents, backpacks etc.). The total weight of your camping jacket should play a significant role in your purchasing decision for uses such as backpacking, climbing, mountaineering, ski touring, or whenever you have to lug around your gear.
The ability of a jacket to allow body heat and sweat to escape is referred to as breathability. Simply put, if you don’t have it, things will get a little sticky as soon as you start exerting yourself. The moisture vapor transmission rate is used to calculate breathability (MVTR).
Jackets with a high MVTR are typically designed for high-output activities such as trail running, back country skiing, mountain biking, and more strenuous hiking. Low MVTR models are better suited for general use or hiking on gentle trails.
- Hood – This additional protects our head from sunlight, rain, and snow. Hoods can also add weight to the product, although it can be negligible.
- Pockets – Aside from keeping your small items safe, you can use the jacket’s pockets to warm your hands in case the temperature suddenly drops.
- Drawstrings – These are cords sewn in-between the jacket to improve your function or movement and provide the necessary warmth.
- Cuffs – These can function to keep your body heat trapped inside your body in case of temperature drops occur.
My three recommendations broken down
So based on the information above and my own experience, I recommend the following options:
1. CAMEL CROWN Women’s Camping Jacket
This first option offers an excellent quality of comfort and protection and versatile enough so that you can wear it every time you are hiking, camping, skiing and climbing etc. It is fleece lined for warmth as well as wind and waterproof as well. See its specifications below:
- Brand: Camel Crown
- Material: Polyester (95%) and spandex (5%)
- Weight: 1.50 pounds
- Dimension: 14.598 inches x 11.5 inches x 2.197 inches (package)
- Waterproof: Yes
- Elastic cuffs with hook & loop fastener
- Adjustable drawcord hem
- 2 zippered hand pockets and 2 inside pockets
Why have I chosen it?
The jacket is well-designed for all outdoor excursions with an exterior fabric that creates an inner microclimate that accumulates natural body temperature. At the same time, the interior microfleece traps the warmth yet still breathable if the weather warms slightly. The multi-pocket system of the jacket also helps you keep your small yet essential belongings so you would not have to hand-carry them. The perfect option for mild winter activities.
2. Legendary Whitetails Women’s Jacket
This next camping jacket is a great option to help you to brave the elements of the outdoors with a balance of cotton and polyester to provide comfort and protection inside and out. It is also light in weight and easy-to-clean. See its specifications below:
- Brand: Legendary Whitetails
- Material: Cotton (63%) and polyester (37%)
- Weight: 1.75 pounds
- Dimension: 13 x 9 x 2 inches
- Waterproof: Water resistant when treated
- Lined hand warming pockets
- Flannel lined shell
- Heavy-duty zipper and snap down storm flap
- Drop tail back
Why have I chosen it?
The product has a drop tail back that gives you extra cover making practical when sitting on any terrain. Its interior is lined with flannel that keeps your body warm with side cargo pockets do not only keep you handy items, but these may also provide warmth for your hands. This is the perfect option for those who need something strong enough to handle the rougher side of camping adventures.
3. Wantdo Women’s Mountain Jacket
This final product is of the highest quality and a good investment for those who camp when it is really cold. Its impressive waterproof index guarantees you are completely dry inside with a design that ensures it can withstand strong winds as well. No matter what your adventure gives you, this jacket will help you stay protected. See its specifications below:
- Brand: Wantdo
- Material: Elastic fabric
- Weight: 2.5 pounds
- Dimension: 15.4 inches x 12.6 inches x 10.2 inches
- Waterproof: Yes
Other inclusions it has:
- Detachable hood
- Adjustable hem
- Adjustable snow skirt
- Elastic cuffs
Why have I chosen it?
The jacket’s filling gives you comfortable warmth with a 10000 mmH2O waterproof rating giving you ultimate protection out in the elements. It also comes with spacious pockets and a detachable fleece lined hood for extra protection. This is a great option for those cooler winter camping adventures.
There you have it, my best camping jackets for women to help them to to brave the unpredictable weather of the great outdoors. I would be pleased to know how this article helped you, and as usual, please let me know of your experiences with them below.
Also, please do not hesitate to comment below if you have any questions, concerns, corrections, or would like me to check anything else out for you.
Until next time