Hey there campers and welcome to my post where I will discuss my three best camping jackets for men to keep you warm and dry this year. Camping is a fantastic pastime and a great escape from the old concrete jungle however it is also a place where you are more susceptible to the elements – even in summer.
So if you plan on hitting the trails soon, I highly recommend investing in a dedicated camping jacket. These will not only keep you warm when the weather turns, but can also protect you from other annoyances such as scrapes from branches and rocks when hiking or insects as well.
And of course as with anything to do with camping, there is a large range to choose from so to save you a little time I have had a good look around and come up with 3 options for you below. Let’s check em all out…
My three recommended camping jackets for men
I will review these in more detail below, but if you just want to get moving without all the carry-on, my recommended products are listed here for your convenience:
|Camping Jacket For Men||Price||Get it|
|TACVASEN Men’s Soft Shell Jacket||$||CURRENT PRICE|
|Legendary Whitetails Men’s Hooded Shirt Jacket||$$||CURRENT PRICE|
|Natural Gear Windproof Parka Jacket for Men||$$$||CURRENT PRICE|
What are camping jackets?
Technically speaking, camping jackets are created with one goal in mind: to provide insulation that will keep you warm and dry while protecting you from the elements. You may however be asking why you need one specifically for camping? Well you don’t really however I personally have found that if I have some clothing hidden away just for camping, then it is easier to buy some fit for purpose. It also means that:
- You can get your jacket a little dirty etc. without having to try and clean it for every day use
- You are not damaging your good ‘going out’ jackets whilst camping.
Most are created to provide warmth in winter, however they can also be made for more waterproof materials to keep you dry even when the weather is warm.
Men’s vs women’s camping jackets
One significant difference between jackets for men as apposed to camping jackets for women is how they are tailored. Men’s jackets typically have elongated torsos and more shoulder width whereas those for women are generally slimmer at the waist and have more fabric in the chest.
What should you be looking for?
Below are some of the main factors you should take into account as you shop for a good men’s camping jacket:
- Materials used
In buying a camping jacket, you should be familiar with the different types available on the market today.
- Hard-shell – This type is a rugged jacket that is lightweight and waterproof. Shell jackets provide wind and rain protection as most commonly, the exterior material is treated nylon that has been layered to create a breathable yet waterproof layer.
- Soft-shell – These jackets offer some of the best breathable and waterproof options available with impressive versatility. Soft-shell jackets have a softer outer layer than hard-shell jackets, making them suitable for your summer hikes, runs, and rides. In the fall or spring, they also make for good everyday outerwear.
- Down – Products classified as down are warm, lightweight, and breathable, making them an excellent choice for icy conditions such as snow and frost. I find them perfect for winter hikes or camping trips. However, because of the material, they require a little more upkeep than most jackets, necessitating careful washing.
Camping jackets are made from different fabrics or materials. Here are some of the known fabrics that comprise current outdoor jackets:
- Cotton – This material is the most widely used fabric globally for various reasons. It’s breathable, easy to clean, soft, comfortable, and long-lasting. Cotton fabric’s strength increases when wet – a unique feature.
- Wool – Jackets made from wool are naturally breathable and allow air to flow, whereas synthetics only breathe through pores between the fibers in the fabric.
- Polyester – This fabric is an artificial product that is entirely synthetic. Polyester is a solid and durable material, so it is commonly used in items subjected to a great deal of wear and tear.
- Fleece – The fleece jackets are similar to wool coats due to the material’s remarkable softness, but the thinner nature of fleece makes it almost identical to cotton. Jackets made of this material are usually incredibly light and are frequently both water-repellent and fast-drying.
A camping jacket must withstand the demands placed on it by it. As with tents etc., the durability weight of a thread is measured in deniers (D), and the lower the number, the lighter the weight. A lower denier rating indicates that the material is less durable and prone to tears or punctures. Unfortunately, as jackets become more lightweight, they become less durable.
Many campers believe that light is best, and weight is an indispensable consideration for any piece of gear (tents, backpacks etc.). The total weight of your camping jacket should play a significant role in your purchasing decision for uses such as backpacking, climbing, mountaineering, ski touring, or whenever you have to lug around your gear.
The ability of a jacket to allow body heat and sweat to escape is referred to as breathability. Simply put, if you don’t have it, things will get a little sticky as soon as you start exerting yourself. The moisture vapor transmission rate is used to calculate breathability (MVTR).
Jackets with a high MVTR are typically designed for high-output activities such as trail running, back country skiing, mountain biking, and more strenuous hiking. Low MVTR models are better suited for general use or hiking on gentle trails.
Other potential additions include:
- Hood – This additional protects our head from sunlight, rain, and snow. Hoods can also add weight to the product, although it can be negligible.
- Pockets – Aside from keeping your small items safe, you can use the jacket’s pockets to warm your hands in case the temperature suddenly drops.
- Drawstrings – These are cords sewn in-between the jacket to improve your function or movement and provide the necessary warmth.
My three recommendations broken down
So, based on the information above and my own experience, I recommend the following options:
1. TACVASEN Men’s Soft Shell Jacket
This first camping jacket provides you with excellent breathability while being lightweight at the same time. It will keep you warm when needed as well as protection from the elements with a multi-pocket design for all your little carryables. See its specifications below:
- Brand: TACSAVEN
- Material: Polyester and fleece
- Weight: 1.32 pounds
- Dimension: 13.39 x 10.98 x 2.91 inches
- Waterproof: Yes
- Adjustable drawstrings
- Armpit zippers
- Multi-pocket system
- Adjustable cuffs
Why have I chosen it?
Being a tactical jacket, this product does help you brave anything that Mother Nature throws at you. The drawstrings and adjustable cuffs are useful to keep you warm when temperatures go down unexpectedly and the pockets are strategically placed to hold your personal and survival items.
2. Legendary Whitetails Men’s Hooded Shirt Jacket
If you enjoy fishing, camping, and lowland trails, I highly recommend this next product. It provides excellent comfort thanks to its quilted satin-lined body, sleeves and 130 gm of poly-fill insulation. It features a polyester lining and washable 100% cotton material. See its specifications below:
- Brand: Legendary Whitetails
- Material: Polyester and cotton
- Weight: 1 pound
- Dimension: 33 x 16 x 3 inches
- Waterproof: No
- Button closures
- Hand warming pockets
Why have I chosen this?
Made from 100% cotton, the jacket offers a soft feel and you can use the side pockets to warm your hands as you experience cold or frosty air. It is also tough, durable and will protect you from all those little hazards associated with camping as well. A great all year round jacket.
3. Natural Gear Windproof Parka Jacket for Men
This final camping jacket is a must-have for your outdoor adventures. It is a tactical camouflage hunting jacket that balances function and comfort making perfect for camping as well. The design for this product enables it to withstand wind, rain, and snow so that you are protected wherever you find yourself in the outdoors. See its specifications below:
- Brand: Natural Gear
- Material: 100% other fibers
- Weight: 1 pound
- Dimension: Not indicated
- Waterproof: Yes
- Dual drawcords
- Interior storage pockets
- Hook and loop cuffs
Why have I chosen this?
To improve mobility, this insulated fleece outdoor jacket has fully articulated elbows and shoulders as well as stretch panels for extra comfort. It also comes with an adjustable and removable fleece-lined hood with drawcord, hook and loop cuffs for a custom fit and a plethora of pockets to keep all of your essential items close at hand. Overall, this is a great option for winter camping and hunting as well.
There you have it, my best camping jackets for men to help them to brave the unpredictable weather of the great outdoors. I would be pleased to know how this article helped you, and as usual, please let me know of your experiences with them below.
Also, please do not hesitate to comment below if you have any questions, concerns, corrections, or would like me to check anything else out for you.
Until next time