Hey hunters and welcome to my post where we will check out my three best portable hunting shelters to keep yourself covered with this year. When it comes to hunting, there are times when you will be spending a bit of time out on the wilderness – often through a number of different weather conditions and onto the night.
Hence a good hunting shelter can be the difference between a good and great hunting adventure. But of course as usual, there are a number of shelters to choose from out there. So for those of you looking for a bit of extra protection, I have had a look around and come up with three good options below.
Let’s check them out…
My three recommended portable hunting shelters
I will review these in more detail below however if you just want to get moving without all the carry-on, my three recommended products are listed here for your convenience:
What are hunting shelters?
A hunting shelter is a specialized tent that hunters use to protect themselves from the elements and to hide their presence from their targets. They are usually camouflaged in such a way that it blends with the environment so that animals are not spooked as well.
Also often referred to as hunting blinds, cabin tents, outfitters tents or safari tents, these are well-equipped, made of durable fabrics and supported by aluminum frames or poles, footprints, guy lines and an intelligent ventilation system to keep the user comfortable.
What should you be looking for?
The following outlines some factors to consider as you look for a goof hunting tent to suit your needs:
- Size and capacity
- Construction materials
- Weather resistance
Size and capacity
This factor is relatively self-explanatory in that if you intend to use the tent with your family or hunting buddies, enough space is essential. A larger tent is also recommended if you aim to bring a lot of gear and equipment however keep in mind that bigger often means heavier as well.
Carrying a large and heavy tent by yourself during the hunt can be extremely difficult and take longer to set up. So, understand your requirements and select the best option for you.
Generally, hunting tents are made from polyester, nylon, or canvas/cotton as follows:
- Polyester is the most commonly used fabric for tents. It can be found in almost all low-cost car-camping tents and some backpacking tents and is significantly lighter than cotton or canvas. While polyester is generally durable, the fabric strength varies depending on the Denier rating which is a measurement of how thick or dense a fabric is. A higher denier usually means a more robust material. The majority of tents will be 75D to 150D.
- Nylon tents are also popular. This fabric is lightweight, easy to pack, and simple to care for however, it’s not insulated or breathable. The material is generally stronger and resistant to wear and tear with the same durability and strength as polyester tents while using less material.
- Canvas provides far superior insulation to synthetic fibers. It keeps you warm on a cold and windy day while keeping you cool on a hot day. For this reason alone, canvas gives more comfort than most tents. An area of concern however would be canvas tents are difficult to transport in backpacks due to their size and weight. On a windy day, however, they will be more stable — no more bent poles or annoying noises from flapping tent fabrics.
Because anything can happen out there, make sure the best wall tents for hunting you buy are weather resistant. Most of them are covered in polyester materials to deflect water and snow without absorbing them. Many manufacturers use fiberglass and aluminum for the poles because they are light and strong enough to withstand strong winds. Finally, the flooring must keep all ground moisture away from the interior, especially if you’re traveling light.
Other potential additions include:
- Storage bag: This item is helpful once you have packed up. The hunting shelter is placed inside for easy transportation and to save space.
- Internal pockets: These add-ons function as organization solutions for your small yet essential personal items. Your cellphone, wallets, keys, etc., are safely held by the internal pockets.
- See-through walls: The walls enable you to have clear visibility of your surroundings. You would know if your target game is getting closer, which gives you enough prep time.
My three recommendations broken down
So based on the information above and my own experience, I recommend the following options:
1. Sunny Days Entertainment Pop Up Hunting Tent
Although sold as a play ten for kids, this first product is perfect for quick setup during hunting trips with enough room to hide in whilst simultaneously exploring the surroundings for hunting targets. The design does not require much time to set up meaning you can move around quickly should the conditions and animal movement make this necessary. See its specifications below:
- Brand: Sunny Days
- Material: Polyester
- Capacity: One
- Doors: Single-door unit
- Dimension: 27.5 x 27.5 x 30 inches
- Weight: 1 pound
- Storage bag
- Internal pockets
Why have I chosen it?
This item is equipped with a waterproof fabric floor that protects the occupant from any moisture or water leak. This tent is made of collapsible, lightweight nylon, making it simple to transport from your vehicle to the hunting ground or campsite as well.
2. Barronett Blinds Ultra-Light Pop-Up Portable Hunting Blind
Portable and durable – these are the features that make my second recommended hunting shelter stand out. The design gives the product quick assembly and disassembly capability so that you are always on the go, whatever the situation is. Due to its concealment feature, your prey would not even know you are there. See its specifications below:
- Brand: Barronett
- Material: Polyester
- Capacity: Two campers/hunters
- Doors: Single-door unit
- Dimension: 55 x 55 x 67 inches
- Weight: 8 pounds
- Zipperless windows
- Carry bag
- Ground stakes
- Tie-down rope
Why have I chosen this?
This rugged hunting shelter has a thicker, robust framework that can accommodate two hunters or campers. Its ultra-lightweight design allows for quick and straightforward deployment. With 67 inches of standing room height and 55 inches of elbow room, you have plenty of space for a tripod camera setup. The mesh covers are ‘shoot-through’ with large zipperless windows providing noise-free adjustment as well.
3. THUNDERBAY Bunkhouse Pop Up Portable 6-8 Person Side-by-Side Hunting Blind
Saving the best for last, this hunting shelter has adequate space to cater to the whole hinting party. The well-thought design offers you supreme camouflage and comfort at the same time with construction materials sturdy enough to manage most conditions. See its specifications below:
- Brand: THUNDERBAY
- Material: 300D polyester fabric
- Capacity: 6 to 8 campers/hunters
- Doors: Two-door unit
- Dimension: 160 x 90 x 0.01 inches
- Weight: 29.6 pounds
- Noise-free sliding windows
- Side-by-side blind
Why have I chosen this?
This spacious tent can house six to eight hunters with high-grade polyester fabric offering superb durability. Its camouflage coating gives you proper concealment and animals roaming would not even detect your presence. The six large windows feature exterior shoot-through mesh that attaches with Velcro and zips open to allow your hunting camera to capture rare and beautiful moments in the wild as well.
There you have it, my three best portable hunting shelters for your nature trips. I would be pleased to know how this article helped you, and as usual, let me know of your experiences with them.
Also, please do not hesitate to comment below if you have any questions, concerns, corrections, or would like me to check anything else out for you.
Until next time.